Monday, August 25, 2008

Simplicity

Over the past month, I have stumbled upon a simple truth time and time again. A truth so life-changing, and so revolutionary that so many have refused to believe it from age to age. Belief in it is dangerous, and claiming it is scandalous. I shudder to think what would happen if a substantial group of people decided to claim it and live it, but I'm becoming more and more convinced that it's true. Ready, here it goes:



There is nothing that we can do to earn God's love. It is unattainable, and unreachable. No level of piety can be achieved to trigger it. But yet he gives it, freely. No amount of good can increase the amount of love that he offers. And no amount of stumbling can decrease it. He simply loves us---more than we could ever be loved.



I told you it was scandalous, just think about what it means!



It means that church attendance has no bearing on how much God loves us...it is not applicable.



Piety...not in the equation



Personal sacrifice has no effect at all on the issue...God simply loves.



It's a tough pill to swallow isn't it?



Now, clearly this conversation isn't intended to suggest that church is stupid, or that we should shed our inhibitions and live la vida loca. But I think that our view of what Christianity is and how to live the life is a bit skewed.



We have the idea that church teaches us how to know God. When in actuality, knowing God teaches us how to find true community!



We think that doing the right thing will make God happy with us, but God is already happy with us! God leads us down the path of righteousness, but the path of self-righteousness does not lead us to God.



God is not out to change our actions. He wants to change our hearts.



I'll admit, I'm exasperated. I'm exhausted at trying to live 'for God.' So I think I'm going to give up. Instead of gritting my teeth and trying to power my way through the pressures and temptations of the day, I may just allow God to give me grace to handle those situations. It is his to give. I'm unsatisfied with the cycle : Get up, fall down, go to church, ask for forgiveness, and repeat. I want to be a part of the story. I want to be swept up in the romance. I want to know God.

No comments: